Friday, August 14, 2009

does not compute

While I was happily sipping a beer, chatting w/ assorted relatives, cheering for the Pirates, and doing a little of this...
at the baseball game last weekend, one of our friends turned around and said to me, "Don't you ever relax?"

I was gobsmacked. This did not compute. There were no words (and if you know me, you know there are always words).

Luckily, my sister came to my rescue with, "This is how she relaxes."

Yeah, that.

Some people relax in a different way, especially after being up early and bouncing around in the pool for hours. Yes, my knitting is in the hand you can't see. Shoulder/arm motions with Continental style knitting do not wake up an exhausted boy who needs a little nap in between baseball game and concert/fireworks.

Friend then offered that her daughter could sell my scarves or other knitting in her boutique. Now, most certainly it's a high end boutique, but even still, I told her that every zig in this particular scarf takes 1/2 hr to knit, and so does every zag, and there's a total of 60 zigs and zags in there and I earn way more than minimum wage, baby. ;-) The discussion ended with agreement that my handknits should go only to people I love, not for sale.

The knitting bag o' tricks became ultra cool after dark, when a little cousin (second cousin? twice removed? something like that) didn't have quite enough light to continue enjoying his book and I pulled out my headlamp. You just never know when the knitting tools will come in handy and help with relaxation and enjoyment all 'round.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

The headlamps or as I have the lighted hat are great.
And, without having something to work on, I feel I have probably wasted the time. There are so many things to create.

7:53 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Oh, I get that all the time! "You should sell your work." People think you'll get rich or something...

I have one friend who wants two pairs of knee socks, one pair with felted bottoms, because she has big calves and can't buy socks to fit. She's a dear freind, but still.... no, No, NO!!

I'd like it if one day I knit original mitten designs, and put them up for sale in an art gallery at a few hundred a pair.

10:38 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

I use a headlamp while camping to knit by. Perfect for it.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

I agree. Knitting is like therapy for me. It relaxes my mind and body. Takes me to a sort of meditative state of mind.

Selling knitting is tough! The yarn is spendy and the time! OH the Time involved.

I have had the same experience. Some friend says rather flippantly, "OH! You have to knit me a pair of socks!" like it's something I can do in an evening. The knits are so tenderly made over time and with a bit of sacrifice and will go to someone who I KNOW will appreciate it. Not to the friend who says, "Yeah, but I can just go to Target and buy a bag of socks for four bucks."

whew. what a comment! A bit windy tonight.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

A headlamp! Why have I not thought of this?

I totally agree with you about the cost of a handmade item. I also only give to those I love. :)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home