Monday, March 30, 2009

temporary insanity

So, a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread on Ravelry about this totally tacky Terror Fish intarsia sweater and how some people found it to be hysterically funny and they wanted to knit one, or their SO wanted them to knit one. While I was reading that thread, Scott brought me a cup of coffee and I said, "Oh, ha ha ha, look at this awful sweater. Isn't it amazing that somebody would WANT that? And they'd find a knitter to spend umpty bajillion hours knitting it for them?! ha ha ha...Wait a minute, honey. No, don't get that gleam in your eye. The point here is that it's AWFUL! You know, ha ha ha? Ha?! OMG, I know you like embarrassing clothing and I know you like fish, but no, really, that's just going too far. "

And then I stepped out of the office and when I came back, the fisherman had ordered the pattern in hopes that I could knit it for him. BEFORE OPENING DAY OF TROUT SEASON IN FOUR WEEKS!

And because I am usually up for a challenge, have never done even a tiny intarsia project, and have such copious spare time (snort!), this is where I am today...
Now, since then we have been curious to find out a little more about our friend, the Terror Fish. It ends up that this is from a 1960s cartoon called Stingray, something of an underwater good guys and bad guys battle. The Terror Fish is the submarine of the bad guys. For your Terror Fish edumication, I present the Stingray intro, in which you can see Terror Fish at 0:55.




Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm knitting on a deadline...
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger ChristineMM said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

The sweater is really funny and the video with bongo drum-hyper music is crazy.

You can do it!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

HAHAAAAAAHAAAAAA. THAT. IS. SOOO. FUNNY! I cannot believe you are doing that!!! You promise to post a picture of it being worn during trout opener, right!? HAHAHAAAAA HAAAAAAA
oh my sides.

ps. I have that little weird knits book and there are some things in there i'd love to knit!

9:57 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I used to do intarsia all the time in the 80s and never thought twice about it. But now I've been spoiled by two-handed fair isle knitting.

It totally makes sense to me that he'd want this sweater and I think you are only doing what any loving spouse would in the circumstances.

Good luck!

11:30 AM  
Blogger hella adequate said...

Hello,
Could you please link me to wherever you found the patterns for the 'Terror Fish' sweater? It is URGENT. haha

Regards,
hella adequate

8:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would pay anything to get ahold of a terror fish sweater like that...ANYTHING...

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need that pattern!! Please, where did you find it? My ravelry ID is flibberdeejibit.. Thanks!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home