Thursday, February 26, 2009

you'd never know it

I have a home-based business. Have worked at home for 24 years now and provided most of our family's income for about five of those years. I love my job. I have great clients. Even though it's a real job and I get real pay for it, it's super duper flexible, which gives it this magical property of invisibility. Seriously. There are people who I've known for months or even years who discover our main source of income and exclaim, "You have a JOB?!" It happens on a regular enough basis with acquaintances that my sister ribs me about it as an ongoing thing now.

Today I came home from working at a client's office (always fun to add a full-time job on top of my full-time job while simultaneously planning to blow out of town for a long weekend away) and shifted gears to working on another client's stuff when I glanced around me and had to laugh because here's a list of the items on the desk where I conduct most of my business:

1. Felted slippers awaiting soles.
2. Pile of yarn for the rest of Scott's gansey-in-progress.
3. Sock WIP.
4. Ultimate stashbuster scarf.
5. Bobbin of Leah's handspun singles.
6. Ball of Malabrigo Silky Merino. Stonechat colorway, if you must know.
7. Ball of leftover sparkly yarn given to Leah by a friend of my mom's.
8. Hats for donation to soldiers.
9. Handkerchief with incredible tatted border.
10. Felted sample scarf for a demo this weekend.
11. Knitted iPod case Leah made for Jesse.
12. Hats for donation to the local children's hospital.
13. Tatting shuttle.
14. Pattern for Leah's Cece cardigan.
15. Basket of merino/tencel blend that I'm spinning.
16. Plastic case of glass beads and buttons.
17. Papers we'll take to Spa Knit and Spin this weekend.
18. Printed knit buttonhole tutorial for Leah.
19. Jesse's list of foods we should buy at the Asian market. :-)

And then there was this little prototype ditty, which was on my desk when I got home...
and was donned by Leah soon thereafter.

Wait 'til you see the drop spindle glass beads Scott made on suggestion from a customer.

Job? What job?!

Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

WOW!

and glass spindle beads? I don't have a clue what that is, but I can't wait to see them.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

drop spindle glass beads

oh please oh please oh please.

I started spinning occasionally but am still using the starter wagon wheel spindles. I want a spindle as pretty as my fiber

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that and brains too! Your family is very lucky.

Can't wait to see the new beads. :)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

so wanting to see the spindle beads but may need some education on them as well!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I knew you had a job - and we have talked about it when we meet at fiber fairs, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is you do!

I am anxious to see those beads!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Wow, that's quite a desk-full!

The glass piece is beautiful.

6:13 AM  
Blogger ChristineMM said...

Are you the tatter?

My mother's grandmother taught her to tat when she was a child.

I am told by LYS owners that it is a dying craft. When I told my mom that she said, "I'm not surprised as it takes a long time to make something that is slow going progress and small in size in the end".

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home